HEADS UP: FreeBSD 6.4 and 8.0 EoLs coming soon

Andriy Gapon avg at icyb.net.ua
Tue Sep 21 11:39:57 UTC 2010

> The Project is ultimately about the users, right? There are early signs that
> some old FreeBSD users get tired from those changes, those removals, lesser
> POLA adherence, marketing-not-technical-stuff for time-not-feature-based
> releases, not so stable -STABLE as it used to be, and so on, migrating to
> other systems. And older users are more valuable to project than newer ones.
> May be it's time to revert to some of thet Old Good Things, if decade-long
> project is mostly ended, while those signs are still early and not a strong
> tendency?.. Given this thread, I've mentioned earlier about 12 messages in
> announce@ from 2002 with such public calls for volunteers - there are several
> years already without these.

Hmm, it's really simple.
If you want to shape the future of the project, then participate in the places
where the future is shaped.  If you want to know what's coming up in the future,
then watch the places where the future is shaped.  If you don't do either, you get
what you get.  Complaining post factum just doesn't work.  (Numerous other
examples and projects also demonstrate that).

"Current", "stable" are not some alien versions of FreeBSD for some other strange
people to use.
Those are your future releases.
Not looking into the future has its benefits - you are not doing anything; but it
has costs too - you don't know your future.
Looking into the future and shaping it has obvious costs, but the benefits are
clear too.

Business users and old FreeBSD users should know this best of all.
It's strange that you try speak on their behalf but do not seem to realize these
simple things.

--
Andriy Gapon