BIND9 built w/--disable-ipv6 on 8.1-STABLE

Mark Kamichoff prox at prolixium.com
Sun Sep 19 18:55:29 UTC 2010

On Sun, Sep 19, 2010 at 02:37:21PM -0400, Mark Kamichoff wrote:
> I just noticed (well, via a discussion in #ipv6 on freenode) that the
> default configure arguments for BIND9 on 8.1 include '--disable-ipv6'.
>
> % grep CONFIGARGS /usr/src/usr.sbin/named/Makefile
> CONFIGARGS='--prefix=/usr' '--infodir=/usr/share/info'
> '--mandir=/usr/share/man' '--enable-threads' '--disable-ipv6'
> '--enable-getifaddrs' '--disable-linux-caps' '--with-openssl=/usr'
> '--with-randomdev=/dev/random'
>
> This results in BIND9 not listening on IPv6 sockets, even if the
> listen-on-v6 directive is explicitly configured in the configuration
> file.  Even worse, and why I didn't pick up on it until now, is that no
> warnings or errors are emitted about this during startup, although I
> suppose that is more of a BIND problem than a FreeBSD one.  Strangely
> enough, the control socket still listens on ::1 in addition to
> 127.0.0.1.
>
> Does anyone know why this was done, or if there's any harm in reenabling
> it and rebuilding?

Well, you can safely ignore this!  I realized afterwards that
'--disable-ipv6' just disables the default use of IPv6 in BIND, it
doesn't completely disable the protocol.  Turns out I was querying the
wrong address with DIG when testing this, too.  listen-on-v6 certainly
works as expected, and enables IPv6 like it should.

Although, that still does beg the question, why don't we want IPv6
enabled by default on new BIND installations?

- Mark

--
Mark Kamichoff
prox at prolixium.com