very stupid mistake: a part of /usr is deleted

C. P. Ghost cpghost at cordula.ws
Fri Sep 17 01:35:21 UTC 2010

On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 6:43 PM, Bartosz Stec <admin at kkip.pl> wrote:
>  On 2010-09-15 17:20, Ivan Voras wrote:
>>
>>> uname -a ->
>>> FreeBSD (XXXXXX).uni-tuebingen.de 8.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 8.0-RELEASE #0:
>>> Sat Nov 21 15:02:08 UTC 2009
>>> root at mason.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC amd64
>>
>> That is actually an easy situation to recover, you can do it in at least
>> these ways:
>>
>> 1) if you build/upgrade from source, you can either reinstall if you have
>> working /usr/obj or try and rebuild them if you have working /usr/src
>> (...)
>
> This is a solution I would recommend (if time isn't the problem), first csup
> fresh 8.X sources, rebuild, upgrade, and as a result you will get more than
> missing files, but 8.1-RELASE + STABLE patches :).

Maybe installing the files from the live-CD in single-user mode is easier
at this point...

... especially if some crucial files (/usr/bin/csup, /usr/bin/cc, /usr/bin/gcc,
/usr/bin/install, /usr/bin/tar etc...) are missing (and thus preventing csup,
build, install). THEN, with the old /usr/bin/* files reinstalled from media,
source-upgrading with csup / make buildworld etc...  is the way to go.

But ivoras@ is right: restoring /usr/bin is pretty easy nonetheless.

> --
> Bartosz Stec

-cpghost.