FreeBSD 8.1 Stable Unreasanoble Rebooting

Michael BlackHeart amdmiek at gmail.com
Thu Sep 16 19:33:04 UTC 2010

2010/9/16 Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd at jdc.parodius.com>:
> On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 08:37:29PM +0400, Michael BlackHeart wrote:
>> Today I've got a pretty strange event. It looks like a reboot but
>> unreasonable as far as I see. Before server's uptime was over month,
>> it's sometimes have to reboot for kernel updates or somethings like
>> that. I've digen all logs and didn't find a reason, so here they all.
>>
>> auth.log
>> Sep 16 13:59:58 diablo sshd[2284]: Received signal 15; terminating.
>> Sep 16 14:04:26 diablo sshd[2290]: Server listening on 0.0.0.0 port 22442.
>>
>> cron - nothing
>> debug.log - nothing
>> dmesg - nothing
>>
>> messages
>> Sep 16 13:44:55 diablo transmission-daemon[7965]: Couldn't create
>> socket: Protocol not supported (fdlimit.c:651)
>> Sep 16 13:45:31 diablo last message repeated 5 times
>> Sep 16 13:47:23 diablo last message repeated 13 times
>> Sep 16 13:57:40 diablo last message repeated 51 times
>> Sep 16 13:59:48 diablo last message repeated 12 times
>> Sep 16 14:00:18 diablo named[1575]: stopping command channel on 127.0.0.1#953
>> Sep 16 14:00:18 diablo named[1575]: exiting
>> Sep 16 14:00:18 diablo syslogd: exiting on signal 15
>> Sep 16 14:02:31 diablo syslogd: kernel boot file is /boot/kernel/kernel
>> Sep 16 14:02:31 diablo kernel: Copyright (c) 1992-2010 The FreeBSD Project.
>> {...}
>
> This sure looks like a legitimate reboot to me (e.g. shutdown -r now);
> note how your system daemons (named, syslogd) are being shut down with
> SIGTERM.  You can check with "last" (shutdown/reboot vs. crash).
>
> <paranoid>
> I would highly recommend taking this machine offline and reinstalling
> the OS, in addition to newfs'ing all existing filesystems (restore from
> last known good backup).  buildworld/installworld and
> buildkernel/installkernel may not be enough depending on what the
> individual did.  It's likely the machine could be compromised in some
> way, especially if there's any service on it which is public-facing,
> regardless of authentication mechanisms you've deployed in front of it.
> </paranoid>
>
> --
> | Jeremy Chadwick                                   jdc at parodius.com |
> | Parodius Networking                       http://www.parodius.com/ |
> | UNIX Systems Administrator                  Mountain View, CA, USA |
> | Making life hard for others since 1977.              PGP: 4BD6C0CB |

That looks reasonable
last says:
reboot           ~                         th 16 sen 14:04
reboot           ~                         th 16 sen 14:03
shutdown         ~                         th 16 sen 13:59

and it's pretty good syncs with logs but there's no anybody access to
physical console 'cos it's not even plugged in. That's for the first.
Next, I've got, I believe, pretty strong passwords, and also root
can't log in directly, but wheel user also is in operators so he also
can reboot or shutdown, but there's no any attempts or successful
logins. All potentialy dangerous services run under their own
unprerileged users, and so on. Crontabs also doesn't contain scripts,
I prefer periodic system, and there's no anyway anything that cause
reboot.
Thing that worries me it that there were multiple reboots and shutdown
that goes up by itself without anyone pressing a button. And in
messages log there's fsck segment that indicates to unnormal shutdown
or reboot. It looks like it started to shutting down but was in some
case interrupted and after powering up it few times reboots itself.
But commonly FreeBSD doesn't reboot by it's own will.
The same hardware worked over a half a year under 8.0 stables without
such a problem. I just would like to understand from where this
problem comes up.
This machine doesn't contain any critical info so I'll wait for a bit.
Also I'd like to notice that recently I've tuned hdd's spindown exept
system hdd by atacontrol port, powerd and CPU frequency lowering in
idle, maybe something of this could cause this problem? And where
could I check this out?