Serial console problems with stable/8

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Mon Sep 13 06:37:45 UTC 2010

Greg Byshenk <freebsd at byshenk.net> wrote:
 > On Sun, Sep 12, 2010 at 05:26:12PM +0200, Oliver Fromme wrote:
 >
 > > On Friday I have updated a machine from 7.1 to stable/8.
 > > It is connected to a serial console.  With 7.1 everything
 > > worked fine, but with stable/8 things seem to break.
 >
 > [...]
 >
 > > Here's my setup (which worked perfectly fine with 7.1):
 > >
 > > /boot.config:
 > > -P
 > >
 > > /boot/loader.conf:
 > > kernel_options="-P"
 > > console="comconsole"
 > >
 > > /etc/ttys:
 > > ttyu0   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   vt100   off secure
 >
 > Shouldn't this:                                   ^^^
 > be 'on'...?

Yes, of course it *was* on (which caused the symptoms
I described).  As I explained, I had to turn it off so
I could at least use su(1) and shutdown(8) without
freezing the whole thing.

Best regards
   Oliver

 > Can the denizens of this group enlighten me about what the
 > advantages of Python are, versus Perl ?
"python" is more likely to pass unharmed through your spelling
checker than "perl".
        -- An unknown poster and Fredrik Lundh