Cannot install using serial console

Jeremy Chadwick freebsd at jdc.parodius.com
Fri Sep 10 11:27:29 UTC 2010

On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 01:14:34PM +0200, Jeremie Le Hen wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 09, 2010 at 06:48:11PM +0400, pluknet wrote:
> > On 7 September 2010 18:50, Jeremie Le Hen <jeremie at le-hen.org> wrote:
> > > Hi list,
> > >
> > > => Please Cc: me when replying, as I am not subscribed. <=
> > >
> > > I tried to install FreeBSD (201008 -CURRENT snapshot, but I don't think
> > > it's important here) in a KVM-backed virtual machine on a headless Linux
> > > host, following section 2.12.1 of the handbook.
> > >        http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/install-advanced.html
> > >
> > > I've rebuilt the ISO image with the following lines in boot/loader.conf:
> > >        console="comconsole"
> > >        beastie_disable="YES"
> > >
> > > The kernel boots correctly (see output below) but the output invariably
> > > stalls after the following lines:
> > >        Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/md0
> > >        /stand/sysinstal
> > >
> > > (Yes, only one `l'.)
> > >
> > > Any idea?
> > >
> > [strip]
> > > WARNING: WITNESS option enabled, expect reduced performance.
> > > Root mount waiting for: usbus0
> > > uhub0: 2 ports with 2 removable, self powered
> > > Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/md0
> > >

> > As far as I know you need also to enable a serial terminal in /etc/ttys.
>
> Yeah, this came to my mind too but I check on the installation CD, there
> is no /etc/ttys.

This is normal.

Can you try hacking up a solution for yourself based on what I've
documented with regards to PXE booting?  There will be pieces which
obviously don't apply to you because you're booting from physical media,
but some of the adjustments (to the bootloader, etc.) you can try.

http://jdc.parodius.com/freebsd/pxeboot_serial_install_8.html

One thing worth pointing out is that you stated the system that you're
trying to use serial console on is actually running under a VM on Linux:

> I tried to install FreeBSD (201008 -CURRENT snapshot, but I don't think
> it's important here) in a KVM-backed virtual machine on a headless Linux
> host, following section 2.12.1 of the handbook.

Can you provide a full dmesg prior to the "/stand/sysinstal" output
happening?  You don't need to boot verbose (yet), but it would help with
regards to determining what the kernel is seeing device-wise.  Yes it
matters.