Can't build 8.1 GENERIC kernel

Olaf Seibert O.Seibert at cs.ru.nl
Thu Sep 9 16:25:37 UTC 2010

On Thu 09 Sep 2010 at 08:35:29 -0700, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> Regardless, when it comes to building world and kernel, you should
> follow the instructions in /usr/src/Makefile (there's 11 steps).  Do not
> skip steps, and do not avoid steps (such as doing installkernel then
> skipping the boot-into-single-user step before doing installworld; this
> may work the majority of the time, but I've seen cases where /libexec
> binaries don't get updated without going into single-user, and the
> result is a system that breaks immediately).

Fortunately, I was not upgrading anything, just reducing my kernel size
a bit (well, almost by half) by eliminating support for hardware that
isn't applicable. Sources and installed kernel and userland were the
result of ``freebsd-update'' so they should all be up to date and in
sync.

I'm now trying a cross-build run, I'm curious how it compares with
NetBSD. (NetBSD always builds (cross-) tools when building the world. In
particular when building a major upgrade this is convenient, since then
you can always be sure to be building with up-to-date tools)

-Olaf.