apcupsd, USB and FreeBSD 8.1 aren't getting along (SOLVED)
benschumacher at gmail.com
Sun Sep 5 20:35:27 UTC 2010
On Sat, Sep 4, 2010 at 5:37 AM, Mike Tancsa <mike at sentex.net> wrote:
> At 04:44 PM 9/3/2010, Ben Schumacher wrote:
>> It seems that something about the combination of FreeBSD 8.1 and
>> apcupsd connecting to an APC Back-UPS RS 1500.
>> Here's what I've got:
>> 1. FreeBSD 8.1 (source compiled up to RELENG_8_1 for security fixes)
>> 2. apcupsd 3.14.8 compiled from FreeBSD Ports
>> 3. APC Back-UPS RS 1500
> I am running RELENG_8 with such a ups.
> 8.1-STABLE FreeBSD 8.1-STABLE #1: Wed Sep 1 11:42:00 EDT 2010
Thanks for your help. Your email encouraged me to keep digging and I
eventually figured out the problem.
For some reason (I'm not sure why/when/how) I had managed to get
libusb installed from ports and apcupsd (and other tools) was linked
against that version of libusb. I figured this out with ldd. After
removing that port (on which nothing else I had installed depended)
with pkg_delete and a rebuild from the apcupsd port, everything is
working fine again.
I've migrated this machine from FreeBSD 7.0-BETA1 forward using source
upgrades and I'd guess that at some point along the way something
required the libusb from ports, but that dependency appears to be gone
Just thought I'd shared this back with the mailing lists in case
anybody else runs into a similar issue.
More information about the freebsd-stable