Tuning the scheduler? Desktop with a CPU-intensive task becomes rapidly unusable.

Bruce Cran bruce at cran.org.uk
Fri Sep 3 21:22:18 UTC 2010

On Fri, 3 Sep 2010 13:50:10 -0700
Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd at jdc.parodius.com> wrote:

> Just be aware of this problem[1] when using it.  (I've been working
> on a proper fix -- not a hack -- for the problem for about a week now.
> Stress level is very high given the ambiguous nature of many aspects
> of GEOM and libgeom lacking in numerous areas.  So far I've managed to
> figure out how to parse the results from geom_gettree() in attempt to
> replace kern.geom.conftxt...)

I'm hoping to replace most of the geom code in sysinstall for 9.0 - it
needs to parse the output of geom_gettree, use gpart to create
partitions etc. So far I've got code that can parse the existing
partition layout but not much more. Take a look at
user/ae/usr.sbin/sade in svn to see how to interact with geom - ae@ has
been working on adding support for gpt, zfs etc. to sade.

--
Bruce Cran