kpanic on install on HP DL980/580

Sean Bruno seanbru at yahoo-inc.com
Fri Oct 22 17:28:56 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-10-21 at 12:06 -0700, Kostik Belousov wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 09:50:03AM -0700, Sean Bruno wrote:
> > >
> > > That should work.
> > > BTW, here I described "yet another" way of building custom recovery/installation
> > > CDs that I use:
> > > http://wiki.freebsd.org/AvgLiveCD
> > >

> > Before I get started on this, it looks like something else is going on.
> >
> > Here is a panic + trace on the latest 9-current snap shot.  "hammer
> > time" indeed.
> >
> > Suggestions are welcome!
> >

> > http://people.freebsd.org/~sbruno/9-current-panic.png
> >
> > http://people.freebsd.org/~sbruno/9-current-trace-panic.png
>
> It feels like msgbufp variable has absurd value. Can you arrange
> to get the output of verbose boot, esp. the SMAP lines ?
> Also, you could add printfs near amd64/amd64/machdep.c:1517
> 	/* Map the message buffer. */
> 	msgbufp = (struct msgbuf *)PHYS_TO_DMAP(phys_avail[pa_indx]);
> to show the values of all participants, i.e. msgbufp, pa_indx
> and phys_avail[pa_indx].

[subject change and thread breaking]

Working on it.  The RTT on getting tests is going to be long though.

Apparently, I'll have to push ISO images for test *somewhere* that the
HP folks can download, burn to a disk and boot the machines from.

However, they have let me have access for another week and added the
DL580 G7 to the testing as well.  I'll update as I get progress and
debugging.

Sean