amd64 mainboard compatibility list

Andriy Gapon avg at icyb.net.ua
Fri Jun 25 12:13:39 UTC 2010

on 25/06/2010 08:26 Charles Sprickman said the following:
> While trying to find how not to get burned like we did with some older
> oddball Supermicro boards, I came across this page:
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/platforms/amd64/motherboards.html
>
> There is a request up top for new submissions (there are no 8.x
> entries), is feedback still wanted?  If so, I've got a number of "bad"
> boards to add.

It seems that the list is very outdated and not actively maintained.

> I cannot stress enough how great it would be if this were updated.  I'm
> server shopping at the moment and after running into various SMP and
> ACPI issues on some SM boards, I'm quite nervous about committing to any
> particular model or brand.

Nowadays it is generally expected that any amd64 system should just work.  Well,
that should be "almost any", or "typical".  There is nothing special about amd64
anymore.  In certain aspects it's even "better" than i386.  So, if something
doesn't properly work, then it's "just" a bug that should be appropriately reported.

Just in case.  Were the problems that you encountered amd64-specific?  I.e. did
they _not_ happen when you tried i386?

--
Andriy Gapon