FreeBSD 8.1-PRERELEASE: WARNING ioctl sign-extension ioctl ffffffff8004667e

Xin LI delphij at delphij.net
Wed Jun 23 18:42:13 UTC 2010

On 2010/06/23 11:37, Jung-uk Kim wrote:
> On Wednesday 23 June 2010 02:12 pm, Xin LI wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On 2010/06/22 19:58, Mario Sergio Fujikawa Ferreira wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> 	I am getting more than 4 thousand of the following messages a
>>> day:
>>>
>>> WARNING pid 24509 (python2.6): ioctl sign-extension ioctl
>>> ffffffff8004667e
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> I think we may need to check the code and patch it.  Basically this
>> means that python (or some .so modules) passed an int or unsigned
>> int as parameter 'cmd', we need to change it  to unsigned long.
>>
>> The warning itself should be harmless to my best of knowledge, one
>> can probably remove the printf in kernel source code as a
>> workaround.
>>
>> By the way it seems to be a POSIX violation and we didn't seem to
>> really use so wide cmd, but I have not yet verified everything
>> myself.
>
> Long time ago, I had a similar problem with termios TIOCGWINSZ and we
> patched the port like this:
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ports/lang/python/files/Attic/patch-Modules%3A%3Afcntlmodule.c?rev=1.1;content-type=text%2Fplain
>
> I believe it was upstream patched at the time but I won't be surprised
> if something similar was reintroduced.  It happens when a Python
> internal integer type is converted to a native unsigned long.

Well, only *BSD have cmd a long value so it's likely that it would be
reintroduced.

I have checked the 4.4BSD archive and understood that our ioctl's cmd
parameter was made long around 1991 or 1992s but didn't see what it
actually buy us...

Cheers,
- --
Xin LI <delphij at delphij.net>	http://www.delphij.net/
FreeBSD - The Power to Serve!	       Live free or die