/usr/src fails to compile in 8.0 after cvsup to RELENG_8

William D. Colburn (Schlake) schlake at gmail.com
Thu Jun 17 12:29:43 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 2:09 AM, Jeremy Chadwick
<freebsd at jdc.parodius.com> wrote:
> When you installed from CD, what things did you select in the menus,
> e.g. base, kernel, docs, info, etc.?  Did you select "src?"  If so, did
> you "adopt" the sources?  http://www.cvsup.org/faq.html#caniadopt  keep
> reading for why I ask this.

I did the express install, all packages, with the ports collection.

> Can you please provide your /etc/make.conf from this system, as well as
> how you built world (commands, etc.)?

/etc/make.conf:
# added by use.perl 2010-06-16 12:14:26
PERL_VERSION=5.10.1

I think perl was installed when I told /usr/ports to make me an emacs.

To build the world I just type "make buildworld" (after a cvsup of
stable-supfile).

> Also, when you installed FreeBSD, did you completely format the disk
> (re-create all the filesystems, etc.)?  Or are you re-using filesystems?
> You said you "grabbed an old disk", and you also said this, which is
> worrisome:

The old disk was a linux drive.  The install disk was unable to write
to /dev/ad0 on it.  I had to boot from my old FreeBSD drive and force
the file systems to mount without fscking.  The kernel detected the
linux drive as a geom system, but it couldn't destroy the system.  I
had to unload the module from the kernel, and then I was able to write
to the raw device.  I zeroed out the MBR with dd, and then went back
to the install disk which could finally create partitions on it.  I
used the auto defaults in the install menus.

> If you wanted to try something, I would recommend downloading a
> 8.1-PRERELEASE snapshots and installing that.
>
> ftp://ftp4.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/snapshots/201006/

That would probably be the fastest and easiest thing to do, but it
feels like I'd be admitting defeat.  And it would take forever to
compile emacs again.  I have an iso downloading now.

> Why would you have to refresh the base packages from the CD?  You were
> *building* world, not installing it, when you saw the above error.  I
> don't see how reinstalling binaries into /usr, /usr/lib, etc. would "get
> you a stable system" when all that was broken was buildworld.

Why?  Because I'd compiled and installed a handful of libraries from
8.1 that weren't  compatible with all my other libraries, and I didn't
use the option for install to keep a backup, so the CD was my only
source of bringing back working libraries.

> | Making life hard for others since 1977.              PGP: 4BD6C0CB |

I got my first computer in February of 1977.   It had a game that
showed a rocket ship (made of gigantic mono-chrome pixels) launching
if I answered simple math questions correctly.

--
-- Schlake