[Stable 7] CPIO breakage/

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Wed Jun 16 06:26:50 UTC 2010

On 06/15/10 22:53, Daniel Braniss wrote:
> A similar 'security feature' was introduced sometime ago, wich 'silently'
> broke firefox instalation , it refused to allow symlinks in destination
> directory, of course the error was ignored by 'make install' so it took
> some time later to find out that nothing was installed - my /usr/local is
> symlinked. The solution was to 'fix' cpio to behave as before, since adding
> the ignore-symlinks feature to firefox's makefile was beyond me:-)

I'm sorry to hear that you had problems with this, but I'd like to take
this opportunity to make a plea that when you (pl.) run into problems
like this that you report them when they happen. I know that after
taking time to track down problems the last thing you want to do is take
MORE time to report them, but the 5 minutes you spend reporting it today
can save hours for other users down the road.

Doug

			-- Propellerheads