portmaster on updates

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Sun Jun 13 20:35:54 UTC 2010

> Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2010 12:23:36 -0700
> From: Doug Barton <dougb at FreeBSD.org>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-stable at freebsd.org
>
> On 06/13/10 07:18, Nenhum_de_Nos wrote:
> > I'm in an epic journey to update all packages on 8.0R (have gnome on it).
> > I had to update png and gmp before this.
> >
> > portmaster says clutter is already installed, but as I am running
> > portmaster to update all ports, most packages are indeed already there.
> > just need to pack a backup and install a new version ...
> >
> > how can I make portmaster run till all is updated ?
> >
> > I use portmaster as:
> >
> > portmaster -afRd
>
> Andriy already answered your question about what's happening with
> clutter, so I'll just use this as an opportunity to re-state that -af is
> rarely a good idea. If you truly want to reinstall everything, there is
> a recommended procedure for that in the portmaster man page.

In the recent gettext version bump, I did "portmaster -fRD -r gettext"
(or something very similar) and had many instances of failure and
restart with ports that were already installed and not as a result of
the 'clutter' issue. I only had to cd to the port directory, 'make
deinstall && make reinstall' and restart portmaster.

Also, the -R often seemed to not work and I'd get the full list
again. This made the process take a VERY long time.

There have been a LOT of revisions to portmaster since the gettext
bump, so this may be already addresses, but it was rather painful,
especially on my rather slow laptop.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)