Freebsd 8.0 kmem map too small

Jeremy Chadwick freebsd at jdc.parodius.com
Tue Jun 8 11:10:37 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jun 08, 2010 at 07:26:45PM +0900, Yoshiaki Kasahara wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Jun 2010 02:54:44 -0700,
> 	Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd at jdc.parodius.com> said:
>
> > I realise you're talking about amd64, but I'm not sure how UMA is
> > getting enabled on i386 to begin with.  It does look like it's enabled
> > on amd64 by default.
>
> I believe that this thread had been started before this tunable was
> introduced on May 24th.  Before that, ZIO_USE_UMA was used to control
> the use of UMA, and it was enabled unconditionally in
> /usr/src/sys/modules/zfs.

Yoshiaki, thanks for the tip.  I didn't check CVS commit logs to see
when this tunable was introduced.  It appears that the systems I'm
looking at don't have the use_uma tunable because the kernel was built
from RELENG_8 code dated May 23rd.  This would also explain why Pete
sees the tunable and I don't.

Wish this stuff was documented somewhere.  :-)