IPMI Console: No luck once OS is booted

PaulFr pfcomptech at gmail.com
Wed Jun 2 00:31:34 UTC 2010

Miroslav Lachman wrote:

> PaulFr wrote:
>>

>> Larry Rosenman wrote:

>>> Good catch.  When I set it to disable USB Mass Storage when no image
>>> is loaded, the ukbd came alive, and I'm typing this on the IPMI Console.
>>>
>>> Thanks!

>> Larry
>> I have a similar problem as you describe in this posting using a
>> SuperMicro
>> X8SIL-F motherboard with onboard IPMI.  The console redirection works
>> fine
>> during boot until the OS (pfSense - FreebSD 7.2 Release p5) boots and
>> then I
>> can't enter anything from the keyboard.  Screen output is OK.  I notice
>> there is also no usb keyboard being detected during boot - instead a usb
>> mass storage device is added.  Thus I suspect I am seeing the same issue
>> as
>> you did.
>>
>> When you mentioned "When I set it to disable USB Mass Storage when no
>> image
>> is loaded, the ukbd came alive..."  how did you do that?
>
> Can you try to boot FreeBSD 8 or 7.3 live system, not installer? I had
> same problem with 7.2 installer, but IPMI works with installed 7.2
> GENERIC kernel from HDD.
> 8.0 installer and installed GENERIC kernel works fine in both case.
> So I think there is some bug in older releases.
>
> Miroslav Lachman

Miroslav
I will try out your suggestion if I get a chance but it maybe some time as
the server is in production.

In the meantime, I came across a workaround which works for FreeBSD and the
version of IPMI (v1.29) on the Supermicro motherboard I am using (X8SIL-F).
It involves changing the mouse input mode of the console launched from
either IPMIView (Java based, v2.7.13) or the browser interface to the IPMI
from Absolute (Windows) to Relative (Linux).  Once this change was applied,
FreeBSD immediately detected a new USB device (keyboard) on the same USB
port as the mouse.  Keyboard input then worked in the IPMI remote console.

The mouse mode change is stored in the IPMI NVRAM and so it does not have to
be set again.

Regards

Paul