PCI AP card recommendations

Joshua Boyd boydjd at jbip.net
Tue Jul 27 16:45:46 UTC 2010

On Sun, Jul 25, 2010 at 5:10 PM, Beach Geek <labeachgeek at gmail.com> wrote:

> Looking for feedback from people using FreeBSD v8.x as access points.
> We will be using Pentium 3 boxes with 8-STABLE as APs.
> Each box will have a unique SSID and use WPA2-PSK.
> Each AP will be linked back to 2 gateways.
>
> I'm looking for AP card suggestions and any helpful hints as far as the
> APs.   Looking for card models, not chipsets.
>
> Looking forward to hearing your experiences.
> Thanks,
> RJ
>
> PS.  We're looking for info beyond the FreeBSD documentation, and related
> the 8.x branch.

I can't recommend a card, but I can recommend that you don't use a ral card.
The encryption support is poor, since most of the current cards don't have
on-board encryption and it gets offloaded to the server, resulting in drops
(for me, atleast).

Due to this, I'm using a standalone AP, plugged into an ethernet card on my
server.

--
Joshua Boyd
JBipNet