Using GTP and glabel for ZFS arrays

Charles Sprickman spork at bway.net
Thu Jul 22 08:51:15 UTC 2010

On Thu, 22 Jul 2010, Boris Samorodov wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 23:15:41 -0400 Dan Langille wrote:
>> On 7/21/2010 11:05 PM, Dan Langille wrote (something close to this):
>
>>> First, create a new GUID Partition Table partition scheme on the HDD:
>>> gpart create -s GPT ad0
>>>
>>> Let's see how much space we have. This output will be used to determine
>>> SOMEVALUE in the next command.
>>>
>>> gpart show
>>>
>>> Create a new partition within that scheme:
>>> gpart add -b 34 -s SOMEVALUE -t freebsd-zfs ad0
>>>
>>> Now, label the thing:
>>> glabel label -v disk00 /dev/ad0
>
> That command will destroy secondary GPT.

I was just reading about GUID partitioning last night and saw that one of
the benefits is that there's a copy of the partition table kept at the end
of the disk.  That seems like a pretty neat feature.

Do you by any chance have a reference I can point to (I was documenting
stuff about GPT in an internal wiki and this is a nice piece of info to
have)?

Also, how does one access/use the "backup" partition table?

Thanks,

Charles