Problems replacing failing drive in ZFS pool

Garrett Moore garrettmoore at gmail.com
Mon Jul 19 22:04:13 UTC 2010

Well, hotswapping worked, but now I have a totally different problem. Just
for reference:
# zpool offline tank da3
# camcontrol stop da3
<swap drive>
# camcontrol rescan all
<'da3 lost device, removing device entry'>
# camcontrol rescan all
<'da3 at mpt0 ...', so new drive was found! yay>
# zpool replace tank da3
*cannot replace da3 with da3: device is too small*

So I looked at the smartctl output for the old and new drive. Old:
Device Model:     WDC WD15EADS-00P8B0
Serial Number:    WD-WMAVU0087717
Firmware Version: 01.00A01
User Capacity:    1,500,301,910,016 bytes

New:
Device Model:     WDC WD15EADS-00R6B0
Serial Number:    WD-WCAVY4770428
Firmware Version: 01.00A01
User Capacity:    1,500,300,828,160 bytes

God damnit, Western Digital. What can I do now? It's such a small
difference, is there a way I can work around this? My other replacement
drive is the "00R6B0" drive model as well, with the slightly smaller
capacity.