Problems replacing failing drive in ZFS pool

Freddie Cash fjwcash at gmail.com
Mon Jul 19 16:40:22 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 9:33 AM, Garrett Moore <garrettmoore at gmail.com> wrote:
> I forgot to ask in the last email, is there a way to convert from Z1 to Z2
> without losing data? I actually have far more storage than I need so I'd
> consider going to Z2.

No, unfortunately it's not currently possible to change vdev types in
ZFS.  This is waiting on the long-time-in-coming "block-pointer
rewrite" feature which has not yet been added to ZFS in OpenSolaris
(and there's very little information on it's progress).

The standard process is:
  - configure new server
  - configure pool using new vdev layout
  - zfs send/recv data to new server
  - decommission old server

Or:
  - take backups of server
  - destroy pool
  - configure new pool using new vdev layout
  - restore from backups

--
Freddie Cash
fjwcash at gmail.com