Problems replacing failing drive in ZFS pool

Freddie Cash fjwcash at gmail.com
Mon Jul 19 16:36:55 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 9:32 AM, Garrett Moore <garrettmoore at gmail.com> wrote:
> The data on the disks is not irreplaceable so if I lose the array it isn't
> the end of the world but I would prefer not to lose it as it would be a pain
> to get all of the data again.
>
> Freddie's explanation is reasonable, but any ideas why it didn't happen when
> I replaced my first dead drive (da5)? That replacement was completely
> painless.
>
> The system is in a Supermicro case with a hotswap backplane:
> http://www.supermicro.com/products/chassis/4U/743/SC743TQ-865.cfm
> The backplane ports are connected to a Supermicro AOC-USASLP-L8I LSI 1068E
> 8-PORT RAID 0/1/10 Uio SATA/SAS Controller.
>
> By the way, Freddie, in your instructions in the 'reboot' step I assume that
> is when I will be switching the physical drives, correct?

Correct.  export, power off, swap drives, power on, import.

If it's a hot-swap backplane, though, have you tried doing it without
the reboot?

zpool offline tank da3
camcontrol <something to turn off> da3
<swap drives>
camcontrol rescan (or something like that)
zpool replace tank da3

Read the camcontrol man page to see what the commands are to "turn
off" the drive, and to rescan the controller for the new drive.  It's
possible the device number may change.

--
Freddie Cash
fjwcash at gmail.com