Problems replacing failing drive in ZFS pool

Adam Vande More amvandemore at gmail.com
Mon Jul 19 16:18:27 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 10:56 AM, Garrett Moore <garrettmoore at gmail.com>wrote:

> So you think it's because when I switch from the old disk to the new disk,
> ZFS doesn't realize the disk has changed, and thinks the data is just
> corrupt now? Even if that happens, shouldn't the pool still be available,
> since it's RAIDZ1 and only one disk has gone away?
>
> I don't have / on ZFS; I'm only using it as a 'data' partition, so I should
> be able to try your suggestion. My only concern: is there any risk of
> trashing my pool if I try your instructions? Everything I've done so far,
> even when told "insufficient replicas / corrupt data", has not cost me any
> data as long as I switch back to the original (dying) drive. If I mix in
> export/import statements which might 'touch' the pool, is there a chance it
> will choke and trash my data?

I'm not sure what's going on in your case, but I have cron'd a zpool scrub
for my pool on weekly basis to avoid this.  I run a / zfs mirror and one day
I could no longer boot and saw the dread 'insufficient replicas'.  I
eventually got it when disk started to work again briefly then did a
snapshot/send offsite, redid system with new install & disk then restored
data.  The export/import shouldn't hurt, I used that when booting off an
MFSBSD cd and imported the zpool to send from there.  Perhaps you might want
to consider RAIDZ2 with all those disks.

--
Adam Vande More