8.1-PRERELEASE: CPU packages not detected correctly

Jeremy Chadwick freebsd at jdc.parodius.com
Fri Jul 16 07:55:29 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 10:01:48PM +0200, Oliver Fromme wrote:

> Jung-uk Kim wrote:
>  > On Thursday 15 July 2010 01:56 pm, Andriy Gapon wrote:
>  > > on 15/07/2010 19:57 Oliver Fromme said the following:
>  > > > I patched topo_probe() so it calls topo_probe_0x4() after
>  > > > topo_probe_0xb() if cpu_cores is still 0.  I think this
>  > > > is a better fallback procedure.  With this patch, cpu_cores
>  > > > gets the value 4 which is the correct one, finally:
>  > > [...]
>  > > I think that your addition achieves this effect, perhaps just not
>  > > as explicitly as I would preferred.
>  > >
>  > > Jung-uk, what do you think?
>  >
>  > Yes, you're right.  Please try new patch:
>  >
>  > http://people.freebsd.org/~jkim/mp_machdep2.diff
>
> Thank you!
>
> I will have access to that particular machine on Monday again,
> so testing the new patch will have to wait until Monday.
> But from looking at your patch it should have the same result
> as my simpler patch, so it should work fine.

I have a general question for everyone involved in this thread (which is
highly educational/interesting -- thank you for all the info!):

Does the problem reported affect actual performance/behaviour of FreeBSD
kernel-wise at all, or is it just a cosmetical issue with regards to
showing how many cores/threads there are?