8.1-PRERELEASE: CPU packages not detected correctly

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Thu Jul 15 11:58:36 UTC 2010

Andriy Gapon wrote:
 > Could you please try to do the following?
 > 1. Fetch topo-12212009.tar from the top of this page:
 > http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-64-architecture-processor-topology-enumeration/
 > 2. Untar it and apply this patch to the code:
 > http://people.freebsd.org/~avg/cpu-topology.diff
 > 3. Compile it by running sh mk_64.sh (supposing you have amd64 system installed)
 > 4. Run cpu_topology64.out and report back its output.

Ok, did that.  This tool seems to get it right, i.e. it
detects 2 packages with 4 cores each.  Here's the output:

	Software visible enumeration in the system:
Number of logical processors visible to the OS: 8
Number of logical processors visible to this process: 8
Number of processor cores visible to this process: 8
Number of physical packages visible to this process: 2

	Hierarchical counts by levels of processor topology:
 # of cores in package  0 visible to this process: 4 .
 # of cores in package  1 visible to this process: 4 .

	Affinity masks per SMT thread, per core, per package:
Individual:
	P:0, C:0, T:0 --> 1

Core-aggregated:
	P:0, C:0 --> 1
Individual:
	P:0, C:1, T:0 --> 2

Core-aggregated:
	P:0, C:1 --> 2
Individual:
	P:0, C:2, T:0 --> 4

Core-aggregated:
	P:0, C:2 --> 4
Individual:
	P:0, C:3, T:0 --> 8

Core-aggregated:
	P:0, C:3 --> 8

Pkg-aggregated:
	P:0 --> f
Individual:
	P:1, C:0, T:0 --> 10

Core-aggregated:
	P:1, C:0 --> 10
Individual:
	P:1, C:1, T:0 --> 20

Core-aggregated:
	P:1, C:1 --> 20
Individual:
	P:1, C:2, T:0 --> 40

Core-aggregated:
	P:1, C:2 --> 40
Individual:
	P:1, C:3, T:0 --> 80

Core-aggregated:
	P:1, C:3 --> 80

Pkg-aggregated:
	P:1 --> f0

	APIC ID listings from affinity masks
OS cpu   0, Affinity mask     0001 - apic id 0
OS cpu   1, Affinity mask     0002 - apic id 1
OS cpu   2, Affinity mask     0004 - apic id 2
OS cpu   3, Affinity mask     0008 - apic id 3
OS cpu   4, Affinity mask     0010 - apic id 4
OS cpu   5, Affinity mask     0020 - apic id 5
OS cpu   6, Affinity mask     0040 - apic id 6
OS cpu   7, Affinity mask     0080 - apic id 7

Package 0 Cache and Thread details

Box Description:
Cache  is cache level designator
Size   is cache size
OScpu# is cpu # as seen by OS
Core   is core#[_thread# if > 1 thread/core] inside socket
AffMsk is AffinityMask(extended hex) for core and thread
CmbMsk is Combined AffinityMask(extended hex) for hw threads sharing cache
       CmbMsk will differ from AffMsk if > 1 hw_thread/cache
Extended Hex replaces trailing zeroes with 'z#'
       where # is number of zeroes (so '8z5' is '0x800000')
L1D is Level 1 Data cache, size(KBytes)= 32,  Cores/cache= 1, Caches/package= 4
L1I is Level 1 Instruction cache, size(KBytes)= 32,  Cores/cache= 1, Caches/package= 4
L2 is Level 2 Unified cache, size(KBytes)= 6144,  Cores/cache= 2, Caches/package= 2
      +----+----+----+----+
Cache | L1D| L1D| L1D| L1D|
Size  | 32K| 32K| 32K| 32K|
OScpu#|   0|   1|   2|   3|
Core  |  c0|  c1|  c2|  c3|
AffMsk|   1|   2|   4|   8|
      +----+----+----+----+

Cache | L1I| L1I| L1I| L1I|
Size  | 32K| 32K| 32K| 32K|
      +----+----+----+----+

Cache |  L2     |  L2     |
Size  |  6M     |  6M     |
CmbMsk|   3     |   c     |
      +---------+---------+

Combined socket AffinityMask= 0xf

Package 1 Cache and Thread details

Box Description:
Cache  is cache level designator
Size   is cache size
OScpu# is cpu # as seen by OS
Core   is core#[_thread# if > 1 thread/core] inside socket
AffMsk is AffinityMask(extended hex) for core and thread
CmbMsk is Combined AffinityMask(extended hex) for hw threads sharing cache
       CmbMsk will differ from AffMsk if > 1 hw_thread/cache
Extended Hex replaces trailing zeroes with 'z#'
       where # is number of zeroes (so '8z5' is '0x800000')
      +----+----+----+----+
Cache | L1D| L1D| L1D| L1D|
Size  | 32K| 32K| 32K| 32K|
OScpu#|   4|   5|   6|   7|
Core  |  c0|  c1|  c2|  c3|
AffMsk|  10|  20|  40|  80|
      +----+----+----+----+

Cache | L1I| L1I| L1I| L1I|
Size  | 32K| 32K| 32K| 32K|

Cache |  L2     |  L2     |
Size  |  6M     |  6M     |
CmbMsk|  30     |  c0     |

Combined socket AffinityMask= 0xf0

"Clear perl code is better than unclear awk code; but NOTHING
comes close to unclear perl code"  (taken from comp.lang.awk FAQ)