8.0-Release Writes Go Beyond HD Capacity

Patrick Donnelly batrick at batbytes.com
Mon Jul 12 20:35:59 UTC 2010

Hi List,

I brought a question to the freebsd-questions list [1] about write
problem I was experiencing when writing directly to a hard drive
device. The workflow is:

fd = open("/dev/ad1", O_WRONLY|O_SYNC);
write(fd, buf, BUFSIZ); /* loop until drive full error (write(...) == -1) */
close(fd);

On my box with 8.0 Release, the write loop will constantly return 0
(nothing written) after I reach the end of the hard drive capacity.
After discussion in the earlier linked thread [1] and a look at the
specification [2], I think this may be a bug in the implementation.
Shouldn't write return an error code?

[1] http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2010-July/218628.html
[2] http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/000095399/functions/write.html

--