net-booting the install disks (Re: 8.x grudges)

Mikhail T. mi+thun at aldan.algebra.com
Mon Jul 12 17:37:31 UTC 2010

12.07.2010 13:11, Adam Vande More wrote:
> Roll it into your media
You lost me right here... Rolling one's own media (for every release and
release-candidate) may be Ok for someone in charge of making, at least,
several installations per week.

For someone like myself, who just wanted to use a downloaded CD-image
straight (without burning it first), there is got to be a way to use the
FreeBSD-distributed images... I'm not asking for the full power offered
by "kickstart" et al, I just want the booting image to be a little bit
smarter than it already is and do The Right Thing^TM regardless of
whether it is booting from the local CD-ROM or remotely.

Yours,

    -mi