8.x grudges

Peter Jeremy peterjeremy at acm.org
Fri Jul 9 09:49:20 UTC 2010

On 2010-Jul-08 18:10:48 -0400, "Mikhail T." <mi+thun at aldan.algebra.com> wrote:
>08.07.2010 17:06, Peter Jeremy написав(ла):
>> On 2010-Jul-07 14:22:22 -0400, "Mikhail T."<mi+thun at aldan.algebra.com>  wrote>>>    1. A picture, that one of the systems was displaying at boot (and
>>>       then used as a screen-saver),  stopped showing properly. The
>>>       colors are right, but the picture is distorted beyond recognition.
>I don't want to post it publicly for copyright reasons. I can e-mail it
>to you (or anyone else) directly, though.

I doubt I'm personally in a position to debug this and don't personally
use splash screens.  Can you reproduce it using an image that you can
re-distribute?

>>>    3. Likewise, having "device ugen" breaks config(8) -- another
>>>       undocumented incompatibility.
>It was a valid device for FreeBSD-7. The UPDATING-file enumerates a
>number of things, that need to be changed, when updating to 8, but the
>removal of "ugen" is not mentioned there.

Well, the definitive list is sys/conf/NOTES and sys/$(uname -m)/conf/NOTES
but I agree that the ugen(4) man page is incorrect and a case could be
made for having better details of USB2 in UPDATING.  How would you like to
write up patches and submit a PR?

>>>    5. One of the upgraded systems would repeatedly hang at boot, until I
>>>       disabled the on-board firewire-device through the BIOS... It was

>No BIOS updates :-( I can e-mail boot's output to you directly (please,
>confirm interest). It would be with the device disabled though, because
>the boot never completes, if it is enabled.

That's why I asked for the output up to the hang - which might show
where the problem is.  If you don't have a serial console, take a
photo and put it up on the web.

>>>    6. Despite the reported improvements in the USB area, my USB keyboard
>>>       /still/ does not work during boot. It during POST and then after
>> I have had similar problems on one of my USB-only desktops.  In my
>> case, moving the keyboard to a different USB port solved the problem.
>> All I can suggest is to work your way through all the USB ports you
>> have available and see if they all behavee the same.
>>
>I'll try that next time I reboot this system. Thanks,

I'm not sure if you can actually move the keyboard and have it re-probe
until the system is fully up.  You might have to reset after you move
the keyboard.

BTW, in all writing you've done, you've never mentioned what FreeBSD
version you are running beyond a vague "8.1 prerelease", what motherboard
you have (despite my request for this) and only indirectly given the
architecture (via the config file you posted).

--
Peter Jeremy