Odd behavior of labels on different filesystem types

jhell jhell at dataix.net
Sun Jul 4 05:55:29 UTC 2010

On 07/03/2010 16:51, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> I have run into an odd behavior in 8-stable that I can't see a reason
> for.
>
> If I have a FAT32 formatted removable drive, I get /dev entries for it
> as both /dev/msdosfs/LABEL and /dev/ufsid/ID. When I mount the
> filesystem, the /dev/ufsid label is removed, but the other two remain.
>
> If I have a UFS filesystem on the disk, I have similar devices except
> that the LABEL is /dev/ufs/LABEL. But, when the UFS device is mounted,
> the /dev/ufsid/ID AND the /dev/ufs/LABEL devs are both deleted.
>
> I'm not sure which is "right", but I can't see the reason for the
> different behavior and it has caused a fair bit of trouble when working
> with gnome-mount as I can't unmount a ufs device. When the
> /dev/ufs/LABEL device is created again on the umount, gnome-mount sees a
> new device and immediately re-mounts it.
>
> Can this inconsistency be corrected?

Can you try to zero out that disk first i.e.
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/DISK bs=4m

Then format your msdos fat part and relabel it. You should not see a
dev/ufsid/ label for this anymore. I believe that for some reason the
ufsid metadata or whatever you want to call it some how has been left
behind and is still being read for whatever reason and can be confirmed
by this.

As for /dev/ufs/LABEL /dev/ufsid/ID /dev/device when you mount one the
others should disapear so this is correct behavior.