My kernel panics suck

jhell jhell at dataix.net
Fri Jul 2 23:35:19 UTC 2010

On 07/02/2010 16:29, C. P. Ghost wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 9:18 PM, William D. Colburn (Schlake)
> <schlake at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I got my new 8-stable system up, and now I just have recurrent disk
>> controller failures.  The machine can't stay more than about ten
>> minutes before it panics into a hung kernel, or simple reboots.
>> Unfortunately, I know the root cause of the panics.  If my computer is
>> sitting on the table, then the kernel doesn't panic.  If the computer
>> is sitting on the desk, then it panics like mad.  The table is wooden,
>> the desk is metal.  Of course, I'm also changing power too.  On the
>> table, I use a wall outlet, while on the desk I use my Smart UPS.
>> Unfortunately, you can't really help me with this.  I'm just writing
>> in out of the hope that I'll get some sympathy for this problem.
>
> Yuck...! If you have an electrical insulation problem, and your desk
> is metal, I'd _really_ urge you to replace your hardware completely,
> or have it properly insulated by a professional electrician. An electric
> shock could cause real pain() and panic(). ;-)
>
> But seriously, if that's the only reason for the panics, it's a pretty
> strong hint that you have an electrical problem: when ICs  are
> underpowered, they tend to behave erratically.
>
>> -- Schlake
>
> -cpghost.

Adding to this, though I find it unlikely but worth mentioning but you
could be grounding out to a already charged surface through a screw in
the case (laptop/desktop), check the bottom and cover up anything you
find with black electrical tape and try again. Another route would be to
grab a multimeter and test the metal table for a positive ? source. If
that metal table also happens to be screwed down to the floor then take
all the screws out as one maybe more could be running across some weird
current.

Regards,