Problems with ATA_CAM support in RELENG_8

Paul Mather paul at gromit.dlib.vt.edu
Thu Jul 1 12:40:05 UTC 2010

On Jun 30, 2010, at 5:18 PM, Alexander Motin wrote:

> Paul Mather wrote:
>>> PS: ATA_STATIC_ID is useless when ATA_CAM option enabled.
>>
>> Thank you (and Jeremy Chadwick) for the help and information.  The kernel configuration options I used above were taken from a VirtualBox FreeBSD/amd64 install I have that I converted over to ATA_CAM when the code first went into RELENG_8 and it wasn't exactly clear at the time what options were absolutely required.  (I'm not even sure that "options ATA_CAM" is needed any more, given "device ahci" implies it.)
>
> `options ATA_CAM` enables CAM wrapper for legacy drivers, which gave you
> adaX devices instead of adX. It doesn't give major benefits, just
> unifies behavior.

So, does that mean if you omit "options ATA_CAM" and have "device ahci" you will get adX devices, not adaX devices?  In other words, if you have "device ahci" (or "device siis" or "device mvs") will you will always get adaX devices, whether or not you have "options ATA_CAM" in your kernel config file?

Does "options ATA_CAM" work with "device ata" or the modular ATA subsystem?  Is that the intended use of "options ATA_CAM": to provide adaX devices and a CAM interface for accessing ATA devices?

Cheers,

Paul.