em interface slow down on 8.0R

Marco van Tol marco at tols.org
Fri Jan 29 18:13:47 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 09:45:42AM -0800, Jack Vogel wrote:
> No need, I set it up and tried it, and I was right, it does not fail if that
> routine is not used. The interesting thing is that the igb driver, which
> has the same code, works fine.
>
> In any case, I'm hot on the track of this and hope I can figure it out
> today.

Ah nice, I found a hole in time to try it as well.  I just rebuild a kernel
and rebooted.  During the reboot I found what you write above. :)

Anyways, the attached patch makes it work indeed as you found yourself as
well in the mean time.  :-)

I tried just deleting the call itself at first, but the module is compiled
with warnings treated as errors and barfs about a defined but unused
function.  So in the patch you'll find the entire function removed.

Let me know about anything else I can do.  I don't have the necessary test
equipment at home, so normally I'll need to find a time window to test
things.  But I'm more then willing to.

The version I patch is the following by the way, from 8.0-RELEASE-p2:
/*$FreeBSD: src/sys/dev/e1000/if_em.c,v 1.21.2.3.2.1 2009/10/25 01:10:29 kensmith Exp $*/

Thanks so far!

Marco

--
"Van Duitsers heb je pas gewonnen als ze met de bus de stad uit zijn."
- Youp van 't Hek