immense delayed write to file system (ZFS and UFS2), performance issues

Dan Naumov dan.naumov at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 18:45:14 UTC 2010

> You're welcome. I just feel as bad for you as for everyone else who
> has bought these obviously Windoze optimized harddrives. Unfortunately
> neither wdidle3 nor an updated firmware is available or functioning on
> the latest models in the Green series. At least that's what I've read
> from other people having this issue. WD only claims they don't support
> Linux and they probably have never heard of FreeBSD.

This discussion made me have a look at my 2tb WD Green disks, one of
them is from May 2009, looks pretty reasonable :

Device Model:     WDC WD20EADS-00R6B0
Serial Number:    WD-WCAVY0301430
Firmware Version: 01.00A01

  9 Power_On_Hours          0x0032   093   093   000    Old_age
Always       -       5253
193 Load_Cycle_Count        0x0032   200   200   000    Old_age
Always       -       55

And another is very recent, from December 2009, this does look a bit
worrying in comparison:

Device Model:     WDC WD20EADS-32R6B0
Serial Number:    WD-WCAVY1611513
Firmware Version: 01.00A01

  9 Power_On_Hours          0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age
Always       -       136
193 Load_Cycle_Count        0x0032   199   199   000    Old_age
Always       -       5908

The disks are of exact same model and look to be same firmware. Should
I be worried that the newer disk has, in 136 hours reached a higher
Load Cycle count twice as big as on the disk thats 5253 hours old?

- Sincerely,
Dan Naumov