8.0-RELEASE -> -STABLE and size of /

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Mon Jan 25 13:51:24 UTC 2010

Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd at quip.cz> wrote:
 > Why you are suggesting /var >= 2*RAM? Is it just for saving crash dumps
 > or anything else? And why so big /tmp? I am running servers with smaller
 > sizes for years without any problem.

Me too.  I usually set up a small memory disk for /tmp.
I never experienced any serious problems with that.

The machine I'm typing this on right now has this line
in /etc/fstab:
 md   /tmp   mfs   rw,nosuid,-s200m,async   0   0

Best regards
   Oliver

"Life is short (You need Python)"
        -- Bruce Eckel, ANSI C++ Comitee member, author
           of "Thinking in C++" and "Thinking in Java"