posting coding bounties, appropriate money amounts?

Mark Linimon linimon at lonesome.com
Sun Jan 24 01:19:12 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 07:20:18PM -0600, Adam Vande More wrote:
> > I'd be willing to put up a thousand USD or possibly more depending on
> > what sort of work was being considered.  I suppose a better choice would
> > be for someone here to make a list of issues which the community feels
> > need attention, and put the pooled donations to whatever things had
> > highest priority -- or, if that isn't plausible, then to what interested
> > developers wanted to work on.
>
> To the best of my understanding, that is basically what donating to the
> FreeBSD Foundation accomplishes, although it would be nice so see some more
> transparency in their decision making process.

As stated earlier in this thread, for tax reasons the Foundation can't
be in a position to "pass through" specific funds targeted to specific
projects.

IMHO there's plenty of room for experimenting with different ways to get
projects funded, especially for "small specific task xyz needed".  I can't
really one of the people to try to set up such things, since I want to be
one of the people taking advantage of it.

A good first task would be for someone (TM) to put up a web page for "tasks
that the community would be willing to fund", with a sign-up sheet for
volunteer donors, to gauge general interest in # of people who would be
willing to contribute to particular tasks.

mcl