do I want ch0 or pass1?

Dan Langille dan at langille.org
Fri Jan 22 01:23:39 UTC 2010

Please CC me on replies.

I'm running into issues with hard-coding some devices (see recent post
titled 'device.hints isn't setting what I want').

Associated with this issue is confusion over whether I want to use ch0
or pass1.  I have these devices:

<DEC TL800    (C) DEC 0326>        at scbus1 target 0 lun 0 (ch0,pass1)
<DEC TZ89     (C) DEC 1837>        at scbus1 target 5 lun 0 (sa1,pass2)

My understanding: chio(1) will with ch0, whereas mtx(1) will work with
pass1.  Is this correct?  More information/elaboration will help I'm sure.

Why do I ask? I can get the tape changer and tape drive hardwired to ch0
and sa1 respectively.  I cannot [yet] do the same with pass1.

Thanks folks.