immense delayed write to file system (ZFS and UFS2), performance issues

BSD Life bsd4life at googlemail.com
Tue Jan 19 21:39:13 UTC 2010

2010/1/19 Daniel O'Connor <doconnor at gsoft.com.au>

> On Tue, 19 Jan 2010, Morgan Wesström wrote:
> > The disks involved don't happen to be Western Digital Green Power
> > disks, do they? The Intelli-Park function in these disks are wrecking
> > havoc with I/O in Linux-land at least, causing massive stalls and
> > iowait through the roof during the 25-30 seconds it takes for the
> > heads to unload after parking. I have two of these disks sitting on
> > my desk now collecting dust...
>
> There's this..
> http://www.silentpcreview.com/Terabyte_Drive_Fix
>
> and you can get the tool at..
> http://home.arcor.de/ghostadmin/wdidle3_1_00.zip
>
> I am planning to try this out tonight..
>
> I just put my WD5000AACS (it has the same problem) in my Windows PC and did
a SMART drive quick self-test with the WD utility (Data Lifeguard Diagnostic
for Windows).
I also tried this Idle Mode Updade Utility but it did not attach to my
drive.
So i put it back to my FreeBSD box (8.0-Stable) and recognized that I am not
able to decrypt it anymore with geli.
It keeps telling: "# geli attach -k /etc/keys/keyfile /dev/ada0
geli: Cannot read metadata from /dev/ada0: Invalid argument."
A geli backup command failed with "geli: MD5 hash mismatch: not a geli
provider?"

I think Windows has messed up something on my disk, but a fdisk dump looks
still the same as before:
"# fdisk /dev/ada0
******* Working on device /dev/ada0 *******
parameters extracted from in-core disklabel are:
cylinders=969021 heads=16 sectors/track=63 (1008 blks/cyl)

Figures below won't work with BIOS for partitions not in cyl 1
parameters to be used for BIOS calculations are:
cylinders=969021 heads=16 sectors/track=63 (1008 blks/cyl)

fdisk: invalid fdisk partition table found
Media sector size is 512
Warning: BIOS sector numbering starts with sector 1
Information from DOS bootblock is:
The data for partition 1 is:
sysid 165 (0xa5),(FreeBSD/NetBSD/386BSD)
start 63, size 976773105 (476939 Meg), flag 80 (active)
beg: cyl 0/ head 1/ sector 1;
end: cyl 316/ head 15/ sector 63
The data for partition 2 is:
<UNUSED>
The data for partition 3 is:
<UNUSED>
The data for partition 4 is:
<UNUSED>"

Are there any things I could try or is all my data gone?
Thanks in advance