ZFS performance degradation over time

Garrett Moore garrettmoore at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 16:40:52 UTC 2010

I've been watching my memory usage and I have no idea what is consuming
memory as 'Active'.

Last night I had around 6500MB 'Active' again, 1500MB Wired, no inact, ~30MB
buf, no free, and ~100MB swap used. My performance copying ZFS->ZFS was
again slow (<1MB/s). I tried killing rTorrent and no significant amount of
memory was reclaimed - maybe 100MB. `ps aux` showed no processes using any
significant amount of memory, and I was definitely nowhere near 6500MB
usage.

I tried running the perl oneliner again to hog a bunch of memory, and almost
all of the Active memory was IMMEDIATELY marked as Free, and my performance
was excellent again.

I'm not sure what in userland could be causing the issue. The only things
I've installed are rTorrent, lighttpd, samba, smartmontools, vim, bash,
Python, Perl, and SABNZBd. There is nothing that *should* be consuming any
serious amount of memory.