immense delayed write to file system (ZFS and UFS2), performance issues

Morgan Wesström freebsd-questions at pp.dyndns.biz
Tue Jan 19 09:29:02 UTC 2010

Garrett Moore wrote:
> The drives being discussed in my related thread (regarding poor performance)
> are all WD Green drives. I have used wdidle3 to set all of my drive timeouts
> to 5 minutes. I'll see what sort of difference this makes for performance.
>
> Even if it makes no difference to performance, thank you for pointing it out
> -- my drives have less than 2,000 hours on them and were all over 90,000
> load cycles due to this moronic factory setting. Since changing the timeout,
> they haven't parked (which is what I would expect).

You're welcome. I just feel as bad for you as for everyone else who has
bought these obviously Windoze optimized harddrives. Unfortunately
neither wdidle3 nor an updated firmware is available or functioning on
the latest models in the Green series. At least that's what I've read
from other people having this issue. WD only claims they don't support
Linux and they probably have never heard of FreeBSD.

If anyone successfully has fixed their WD15EADS drives this way I'd be
interested in hearing from you. One of my drives has 216,000 load cycles
accumulated over 8 months. That's one every 2nd minute... and I was hit
by the Seagate 7200.11 fiasco too. Running on Samsungs now :-)