ntpd not removed; WITHOUT_NTP enabled in src.conf

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Fri Jan 8 23:32:56 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jan 08, 2010 at 01:38:49PM -0900, Henrik Hudson wrote:
> Hey List,
>
> Among other things I have in my /etc/src.conf
> WITHOUT_NTP=yes
>
> which from my understanding should not build ntpd, etc...
>
> However, after doing:
> make buildworld
> make installworld
> ntpd still exists in /usr/sbin and the man pages, etc... seem to
> still be hanging around. Did I miss something?

Adding options to `/etc/src.conf` does not remove old binaries, libraries or
manpages! It just prevents the system from building newer ones.  The best way
to deal with this is to use find(1) to locate binaries and libraries that are
older than the most recent installworld. It might be a good idea to make a
backup first, in case you screw up the system! Now, supposing the latest
installworld (with the new options in `/etc/src.conf`) was December
3rd. Running the following command will reveal all older files;

    find /bin -type f -and -not -newermt 'Dec 3' -ls

After checking that you've *really* only found old binaries, replace `-ls`
with `-delete` to remove them. Next, repeat this for the directories `/sbin`,
`/usr/bin`, `/usr/sbin`, `/lib`, `/libexec`, `/usr/lib`, `/usr/libexec`,
`/usr/share/man/man*` and `/rescue`.

Roland