Question about imaging / migrating freebsd

kevin k at kevinkevin.com
Fri Jan 8 17:18:04 UTC 2010

Hello,

I have a quick question regarding moving freebsd from one server to another.
I have read and am exploring several methods for efficiently migrating one
freebsd server to newer hardware.

Without getting into too many details, it is preferable to migrate each
partition/slice in their entirety. I have read methods where utilizing
dump/restore in single user mode seems to be the way to go, however I would
like to know if anyone has any recommendations or has a tried & true method
(dd over ssh?) for accomplishing this kind of a task that may save me any
headaches, since the servers in question are production systems.

Both systems will be 7.1-PRERELEASE.  And I am unable to physically mount
the new server's disk in the old server, unfortunately.

Any help / suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Kevin