8.0 regression: wireless network slow to initialise ?

John Baldwin jhb at freebsd.org
Fri Jan 8 13:47:25 UTC 2010

On Friday 08 January 2010 4:38:40 am martinko wrote:
> Hi,
>
> $ egrep 'sk0|wlan' /etc/rc.conf.local
> ifconfig_sk0="DHCP"
> wlans_iwi0="wlan0"
> ifconfig_wlan0="WPA DHCP"
>
> When booting up or netif restart:
>
> Starting Network: lo0 sk0.
> lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 16384
>          options=3<RXCSUM,TXCSUM>
>          inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x5
>          inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128
>          inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000
> sk0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
>          options=b<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU>
>          ether 00:11:22:33:44:55
>          media: Ethernet autoselect (none)
>          status: no carrier
>
> Please note that iwi/wlan is not even mentioned. (!)
> The same happens whether booting up or via /etc/rc.d/netif restart.

Yes, the part of the netif script that prints out interfaces doesn't handle
child interfaces like wlan or vlan devices currently.  I'm not fully sure of
the best way to fix it.

> On older versions of FreeBSD iwi0 was turned up and associated.
> With 8.0 I am getting errors from services started on boot that try to
> reach the network (e.g. ntpd).  It also seems to break lagg for me.

SYNCDHCP should fix the problems with ntpd.  I have no idea about lagg(4), you
would probably need to ask a more specific question about what exact breakage
you are seeing.

--
John Baldwin