cvsweb: src/UPDATING on RELENG_7

Ian Smith smithi at nimnet.asn.au
Sat Jan 2 02:56:25 UTC 2010

On Fri, 1 Jan 2010, N.J. Mann wrote:
 > In message <20100102001608.X50666 at sola.nimnet.asn.au>,
 > 	Ian Smith (smithi at nimnet.asn.au) wrote:
 > >
 > > Thought I had a clue on using cvsweb, but seem to have mislaid it ..
 >
 > I think cvsweb is a great tool.

Indeed.  I hadn't realised it wasn't being kept updated from svn, but
that's likely just me not paying enough attention.

 > > After updating 7.0-RELEASE to RELENG_7 sources on Dec 28, checking
 > > UPDATING before and during buildworld, went hunting on cvsweb for the
 > > very version of UPDATING I was reading, 1.507.2.34 of 2009/11/29.
 > >
 > > I can't find it, as such.  1.507 shows on MAIN, RELENG_7_BP, RELENG_7.
 > > Selecting only RELENG_7 just shows that single ver 1.507 of Oct'07.
 > >
 > > On a punt I manually entered 1.507.2.34 for a diff against 1.507 and
 > > that looks just right:
 > >
 > > http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/UPDATING.diff?r1=text&tr1=1.507&r2=text&tr2=1.507.2.34
 > >
 > > But where would I look to find the log and view for 1.507.2.34 itself?
 >
 > This seems to be an artifact of SRC commits now being made to a SVN repo
 > and the CVS repo being fed from that via svn2cvs - or whatever it is
 > called.  The latest non-X.Y revision I found listed by cvsweb was
 > 1.73.2.96, which was before the project started using SVN.  With a

Ah.  What seems strange is that 1.507.2.34 is there, diff'able, just not
apparently logged - if you know the answer, you can pose the question :)

 > little digging I came up with the following URL for the SVN repro, but I
 > may not have got exactly what you are after:
 >
 > http://svn.freebsd.org/viewvc/base/stable/7/UPDATING?r1=199901&r2=172506

Thanks Nick, that's the one.  The Revision Log from there is just what
I'd expected to find on cvsweb for that file on that branch.  Guess it's
time I learned my way around svn/viewvc, but I'm sure going to miss rev.
numbers that made linear sense to this bear of little brain!

cheers, Ian