don't know how to make /usr/obj/usr/src/tmp/usr/lib/libusbhid.a

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Fri Jan 1 21:38:52 UTC 2010

> Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2009 08:47:44 -0800
> From: Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd at jdc.parodius.com>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-stable at freebsd.org
>
> On Thu, Dec 31, 2009 at 05:40:01PM +0100, Oliver Lehmann wrote:
> > I think that this error might be related to my "special" src.conf.
> > Maybe WITHOUT_USB is causing this - but - this shouldn't be - right?
>
> src/usr.sbin/bluetooth/bthidcontrol/bthidcontrol.c on RELENG_7
> specifically includes usbhid.h, which is used for USB HID definitions
> and related stuff, so I'd say your guess is correct.
>
> $ uname -r
> 7.2-STABLE
> $ grep -n -i usb /usr/src/usr.sbin/bluetooth/bthidcontrol/bthidcontrol.c
> 41:#include <usbhid.h>
>
> Regarding the odd mismatch (first a missing library archive, then a
> missing .h file): chances are your "old" /usr/obj may have contained the
> usbhid.h file somewhere (e.g. a previous kernel or world was built there
> *before* you added WITHOUT_USB=1 to src.conf), then later you added
> WITHOUT_USB=1 to src.conf without nuking /usr/obj.

There are a lot of problems that have popped up with dependencies in
src.conf stuff. bf opened conf/137483 several months ago to allow
builds WITHOUT_OPENSSH, even though it contains a patch I have been
using since then, it still has not been assigned.

This is hardly the only issue with src.conf options, as this thread
demonstrates. This one is a bit trickier as it involves a combination of
arguments in src.conf. Mine is a lot more trivial as a single option
failed.

While I love the concept of src.conf, we need a better way of testing
the options. I will admit that I don't see any way but a massive
expansion of the tinderbox to test all combinations, which I suspect is
simply not practical.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)