em0 freezes on ZFS server

Gerrit Kühn gerrit at pmp.uni-hannover.de
Fri Feb 26 16:23:45 UTC 2010

On Fri, 26 Feb 2010 17:07:13 +0200 Daniel Braniss <danny at cs.huji.ac.il>
wrote about Re: em0 freezes on ZFS server :

DB> it's only purpose in life is a nfs server.

I thought so, but you did not mention it explicitely.

DB> but I wouldn't exclude zfs from the equation yet.
DB> I have othere nfs servers, not doing zfs and I don't see this.

My machine has zfs, too. I do not have 8-stable with nfs on ufs, so I
cannot crosscheck that.

DB> > My server is at 22k now, and the buffer number is still increasing
DB> > every few seconds...
DB> > Can you monitor your mbuf usage and report if it grows?

DB> I am, and in the last 2hs. it grew by about 300, it does oscilate,
DB> i.e. it grows some, then
DB> it goes down, but it seems that the low always increases.

Mine is at 36k now:

36797/3403/40200 mbufs in use (current/cache/total)
35772/1202/36974/65000 mbuf clusters in use (current/cache/total/max)
35772/836 mbuf+clusters out of packet secondary zone in use (current/cache)

DB> when I have enough data i'll plot it.

I think I'll reboot my machine now and hope that it lives as long as
possible into the weekend. Although at the present rate it will not
survive 24h. :-(

cu
  Gerrit