ahcich timeouts, only with ahci, not with ataahci

Harald Schmalzbauer h.schmalzbauer at omnilan.de
Tue Feb 23 10:40:37 UTC 2010

Hello,

I'm frequently getting my machine locked with ahcichX timeouts:
ahcich2: Timeout on slot 0
ahcich2: is 00000000 cs 00000001 ss 00000000 rs 00000001 tfd c0 serr
00000000
ahcich2: Timeout on slot 8
ahcich2: is 00000000 cs 00000100 ss 00000000 rs 00000100 tfd c0 serr
00000000
ahcich2: Timeout on slot 8
ahcich2: is 00000000 cs fffff07f ss ffffff7f rs ffffff7f tfd c0 serr
00000000

This happens when backup over GbE overloads ZFS/HDD capabilities.
I reduced vfs.zfs.txg.timeout to 1 to prevent the machine from locking
up almost immediately, but from it still happens.
When I don't use ahci but ataahci (the old driver if I understand things
correct) I also see the ZFS burst write congestion, but this doesn't
lead to controller timeouts, thus blocking the machine.

Sometimes the machine recovers from the disk lock, but most often I have
to reboot.

Kernel is from Feb. 19, so recent ahci improovements are active.
Controller is ICH9R with 3 Samsung F3 SpinPoints.

Any ideas how to work arround the hangs other than using the old ahci
driver?

Thanks,

-Harry