hardware for home use large storage

Peter C. Lai peter at simons-rock.edu
Tue Feb 16 16:08:13 UTC 2010

On 2010-02-15 10:29:22PM +0100, Gót András wrote:

> >> Hi,
> >>

> >> Do have test about this? I'm not really impressed with the i5 series.
> >>

> >> Regards,
> >> Andras
> >>

> > There: http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=3634&p=10
> >

> > The i5 750, which is a 180 euro CPU, beats Q9650 C2Q, which is a 300 euro
> > CPU.
> >

> > - Sincerely,
> > Dan Naumov
> >

> Oh, I was not up to date on price performance ratio. However I'd compare
> the i5 750 to the Q8400 which is also a 2,66GHz one.

Perhaps there is some confusion between the i5 and i3? A C2Q will probably
beat an i3 at the same clock speed but i5 750 has 8mb of unified cache and
the turboboost feature. IMO a lot of the benchmark differences between an
i5 and C2Q can be attributed to DDR3 and the onboard ram controller on the
i5 reducing latency (which if one is to believe Herb Sutter, is the bane
of all modern CPUs).

Peter C. Lai                 | Bard College at Simon's Rock
Systems Administrator        | 84 Alford Rd.
Information Technology Svcs. | Gt. Barrington, MA 01230 USA
peter AT simons-rock.edu     | (413) 528-7428