hardware for home use large storage

Dan Langille dan at langille.org
Mon Feb 15 17:14:13 UTC 2010

Dan Naumov wrote:

>>> You do realise how much of a massive overkill this is and how much you
>>> are overspending?
>>
>> I appreciate the comments and feedback.  I'd also appreciate alternative
>> suggestions in addition to what you have contributed so far.  Spec out the
>> box you would build.
>
> ======================
> Case: Fractal Design Define R2 - 89 euro:
> http://www.fractal-design.com/?view=product&prod=32
>
> Mobo/CPU: Supermicro X7SPA-H / Atom D510 - 180-220 euro:
> http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/ATOM/ICH9/X7SPA.cfm?typ=H
>
> PSU: Corsair 400CX 80+ - 59 euro:
> http://www.corsair.com/products/cx/default.aspx
>
> RAM: Corsair 2x2GB, DDR2 800MHz SO-DIMM, CL5 - 85 euro
> ======================
> Total: ~435 euro
>
> The motherboard has 6 native AHCI-capable ports on ICH9R controller
> and you have a PCI-E slot free if you want to add an additional
> controller card. Feel free to blow the money you've saved on crazy
> fast SATA disks and if your system workload is going to have a lot of
> random reads, then spend 200 euro on a 80gb Intel X25-M for use as a
> dedicated L2ARC device for your pool.

Based on the Fractal Design case mentioned above, I was told about Lian
Lia cases, which I think are great.  As a result, I've gone with a tower
  case without hot-swap.  The parts are listed at and reproduced below:

   http://dan.langille.org/2010/02/15/a-full-tower-case/

    1. LIAN LI PC-A71F Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case $240
(from mwave)
    2. Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W PSU $80
    3. Samsung SATA CD/DVD Burner $20 (+ $8 shipping)
    4. Intel S3200SHV LGA 775 Intel 3200 m/b $200
    5. Intel Core2 Quad Q9400 CPU $190
    6. SATA cables $22
    7. Supermicro LSI MegaRAID 8 Port SAS RAID Controller $118
    8. Kingston ValueRAM 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM ECC $97

Total cost is about $1020 with shipping.  Plus HDD.

No purchases yet, but the above is what appeals to me now.

Thank you.