Hello and a small problem with 8.0-RELEASE (amd64)

Peter Jeremy peterjeremy at acm.org
Fri Feb 12 21:18:49 UTC 2010

On 2010-Feb-11 14:00:57 -0700, Sean McCullough <wotan at frii.com> wrote:
> This machine runs FreeBSD 7.2 (amd64 version) without the
> slightest problem; but when I attempt to load 8.0 onto the machine, I
> can't even get sysinstall to put the kernel on to boot it.

How are you doing this?  Normally you would only use sysinstall to
install a fresh system from CD/DVD.  Note that (at least last time
I looked) actually copying the kernel to disk is one of the last
steps it does and isn't explicitly selected from the menus.

> Attempting to
> compile and install the 8.0 kernel from source code results in a kernel
> which locks up at boot time after emitting a message stating "attempting
> to mount volumes";

Is this the exact message or is it "Trying to mount root"...?  Can you
provide the exact boot messages?  Either setup a serial console or use
ScrollLock, scroll back, photograph each screen of boot messages, post
them somewhere and mail a URL.

> a reboot of this system results in a bootloader
> prompt and an error message stating that no bootable kernel can be found.

Can you provide details of your hardware setup?  Motherboard, what the
boot disk is (PATA/SATA) and what the physical disk address is (which
controller/channel).

--
Peter Jeremy