hardware for home use large storage

Dmitry Morozovsky marck at rinet.ru
Wed Feb 10 20:20:39 UTC 2010

On Mon, 8 Feb 2010, Dan Langille wrote:

DL> I'm looking at creating a large home use storage machine.  Budget is a
DL> concern, but size and reliability are also a priority.  Noise is also a
DL> concern, since this will be at home, in the basement.  That, and cost,
DL> pretty much rules out a commercial case, such as a 3U case.  It would be
DL> nice, but it greatly inflates the budget.  This pretty much restricts me to
DL> a tower case.

[snip]

We use the following at work, but it's still pretty cheap and pretty silent:

Chieftec WH-02B-B (9x5.25 bays)

filled with

2 x Supermicro CSE-MT35T
http://www.supermicro.nl/products/accessories/mobilerack/CSE-M35T-1.cfm
for regular storage, 2 x raidz1

1 x Promise SuperSwap 1600
http://www.promise.com/product/product_detail_eng.asp?product_id=169
for changeable external backups

and still have 2 5.25 bays for anything interesting ;-)

other parts are regular SocketAM2+ motherboard, Athlon X4, 8G ram,
FreeBSD/amd64

--
Sincerely,
[ FreeBSD committer:                                 marck at FreeBSD.org ]